Dr Carmel Harrington is a sleep research scientist and an
internationally recognised sleep expert. Carmel researches the true
science behind sleep and explains the critical link between
sleep, health, performance and creativity. Drawing from the latest
sleep research, she reveals the science behind what happens to our
bodies when we don't get enough sleep, and how this critically
affects our hormones, our metabolism and how we think and
Dr Harrington has been working in the world of sleep for
nearly 20 years. A former lawyer and educator she has a PHD in
Sleep Medicine from Sydney University and consults with companies
and educational institutions both here and overseas on sleep
health. Emerging research clearly shows that sleeping well is a key
component to optimal performance and health and if we want to be at
the top of our game we need to ensure we get the best sleep
possible. Carmel has written two books "The Sleep Diet"
and "The complete guide to a good night's sleep".
Here’s what we discuss in this week’s show:
- Why is sleep so important to us?
- What is science telling us about the chronic effects of lack of
sleep on health, wellness and mental performance?
- What are MRI’s showing us about the effect of sleep on the
- Does lack of sleep effect us physically as well as
- Can we access our dreaming unconscious brain to unlock our
- Hacks to access your creative and imaginative brain through REM
- As we get older do we need less sleep?
- Tips to help you get better sleep and REM.
- Do cat naps help our performance and productivity?
- Is there science behind a just a 20 minute cat nap?
- The difference in sleep patterns between men and women
- Can lack of sleep effect our performance in the bedroom?
- How do I know I have had a good nights sleep?
- Can gratitude journalling at night have a positive effect on
our brain and improve the quality of our sleep?